Pages

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Gifts, Dinner and Art!

Hello everyone!!


I had an awesome birthday weekend and I have a lot to share so be forewarned that this is a LONG post!

My actual birthday was Saturday but it seems like I've been celebrating for a week! It started last weekend when my sister-in-law surprised me with a trip to an auction for art supplies! Throughout the week I received emails and notes and comments from so many people wishing me a happy birthday and it was just so sweet! Thanks everyone! Then came the actual day.

It started off much like any other day. A little cleaning, a load of laundry, hugs and kisses from the daughters, a birthday "good morning" from the son. My husband had to work on Saturday and wasn't expected home until around 4 pm. So, I just decided to take it easy, hang out and enjoy the day.

I walked out to my driveway to get some fresh air and to look at the sky and plants when I noticed the cabinet I have been spying for 3 days in my neighbor's driveway was sitting out to the curb!!!! I saw it sitting by their garage door for days and kept hoping they were getting rid of it but as we all know, if it isn't at the curb, it isn't fair game. I was so excited that I ran in the house and grabbed the kids to help me carry this thing home! Now, when I show it to you you're probably going to think that I have lost my mind, but trust me, it's going to be fabulous when I'm done with it!

When I first grabbed it and brought it home it had been spray painted white (without sanding it first) and some yellow and white checked fabric had been stapled to the front panels of the door with the doors having been painted an awful shade of blue. YUCK!! So, I immediately ripped off the fabric only to find more yuck beneath! Under the fabric was really torn up wicker type stuff. So, I grabbed my exacto blade and got to work removing that as well! Whew!


Then I started peeling some of the paint off to see what was underneath. The drawers in this thing are dove tail and it's all solid wood! Hubby believes it's oak. It has GREAT bones! I love the clean lines and absence of frills. It'll be perfect in the studio as soon as I get it stripped down, sanded and add my artistic touches here and there. I'm very excited about the whole thing!

So, I present to you the newest addition to the studio (in progress)...

It's not the best picture, maybe I'll try to get a better shot tomorrow.
Anyway, after all of this excitement, I went out and got the mail and had some swap mail!! Whoo hoo, bday present in the box! I brought the envelope into my studio and quickly tore it open to find an Egg Shaped Dotee Doll from Dana!!! I love her, she's very cute and I proudly hung her up with my other dotees in the studio!
Okay, so yes it was for a swap but it came on my birthday so I'm calling it a bday gift!
Thanks, Dana!
Just when I thought it couldn't get any better, hubby got home from work and patiently listened as I rambled on an on about the new cabinet and my plans for it. When I finally took a breath, he pulled a dozen white roses out from behind his back! White roses are my absolute favorite flower and I was ALMOST brought to tears when I saw them. He is just so wonderful!

Now I have some gorgeous flowers in the studio to inspire me! In case you missed it the first 400 times I said this, I HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL HUSBAND ON THE PLANET! He truly is the perfect man for me!

After all the gushy stuff, hubby and I headed out for dinner. We went to our fav steakhouse, enjoyed a nice dinner and conversation then stopped at Hollywood Video to rent some movies to watch with the kids before heading home.
What a great day!


So, that brings us to today, Sunday. Today we packed everyone into the car and headed into Tampa for the 39th Annual Raymond James Gasparilla Festival of the Arts.




300 booths of wonderfully creative eye candy to look at! Nothing is more inspirational than that! The hubby and I enjoyed MANY of the works we saw there but a few were our absolute favorites and I'd like to share those with you here.



Our very favorite art and display was that of Lewis Tardy. His business card is displayed above and is the one with the bull on it. Al I can say is WOW!!!! This artist is truly amazing and the whole family spent quite a long time studying each and every piece he had on display! Please visit his website to see all of his amazing works! http://www.tardysculpture.com/


Our number 2 pick was the works by Roberto Gutierrez. The movement and motion is his pieces was amazing! The muscle tone in the sculpts everything was wonderful!


Here are 2 of his works (photos were borrowed from the artist's website):


Bridge:


New Alliance:



Please visit Roberto's website to see more! You won't be disappointed! http://www.robertogutierrez.com/


Coming in at number 3 is Philippe Guillerm. He creates the most wonder sculptures in wood! We spent quite awhile at this display as well! Each piece was more wonderful than the last.

Here are 2 of our favorite pieces (pictures borrowed from artist's website):





Please visit Philippe's website to see more works.. http://www.philippeguillerm.com/

Number 4 on our list is Lou Michaels. I was so drawn to the piece below... I studied it for quite some time and believe me, if I could have afforded it, this piece would be on my wall right now!

(Images borrowed from artist's website)








Go check out the rest of the eye candy from this artist at his website.. http://www.lvs3d.com/


Finishing up our top 5 list is Jim Casey. He does horse sculptures. They are so raw and crude and I absolutely love them!


(Image borrowed from artist's website)



There are a lot of pieces shown on his website, please check them out!
www.jimcaseysculptor.com

So there you have it folks! It was a great day, the weather was perfect (80 degrees and sunny), I was surrounded by art and family, it was just perfect!

So, now it's time to head off to bed because tomorrow I return to the regular schedule and have some projects that need my attention!

More Later....

Moriah

No comments: