Pages

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Jada Fru Fru's TuTu

I've been wanting to play around with altered board books for awhile now and never did. I had a few of them sitting in my studio for ages and finally, today I decided I was going to play with them! I decided I was going to make 3 of them, one for each of my kids. Instead of distressing them and making them all artsy fartsy, I thought it might be fun to paint them. To make a story about each child and paint in the pictures to go along with the story.


I started my youngest daughter's today. After 6 hours of Gessoing each page of all three board books, I was eager to get on with the fun part!! All I have completed so far (besides all the gessoing) is the front cover.

If you're an artist, more than likely you know how to make these and have probably already made at least one. For the rest of you, I'll explain what I did.

You start off with a children's board book. You know, those hard, thick paged easy reader books. I used a few old ones that my girls had out grown but you can pick them up dirt cheap at thrift stores and yard sales.

So anyway, get yourself a board book...

Some artists sand the glossy stuff off of the pages before adding the Gesso, I didn't and the Gesso stuck just fine for what I wanted. I guess if you wanted a really smooth surface it would be better to sand the pages, then add the gesso and sand that too. For me, I'm all about bumps, grooves and texture, so I let mine be that way. So, now that you have your board book, you need to cover each page, including the cover and back, with 1-2 coats of Gesso and let dry. My husband says this is where you ruin a perfectly good book... NONSENSE! I will warn you however, that this is the most boring process of the project and I have no patience for dry time either so I use a heat gun to hurry it along.




Alright, once you get that boring part done, it's on to the fun stuff! Paint the cover and the back of the book in matching colors, or not, no rules here. I painted this one a medium pink and then used hot pink on the spine.







Then decide what your story is going to be about and design a cover with the title.
Since my youngest daughter is a big frilly girl and lover of all things shiny and pink, I decided to make a book about her and her tutu. Title: Jada Fru Fru's Tutu..





As you can see, I have quite a bit more work ahead of me by the looks of these white pages, but this is the fun part!




I'll share more of the book as I go along. Here is a scan of the cover so you can see it a bit better..



Okay, my eyes are burning and I'm yawning my head off... It's time to say good night and head off to dreamland.



More Later...

Moriah

3 comments:

Amy Beth said...

That is so TOTALLY cool! I have tons of these laying around my house.

sassypackrat said...

I've never heard of this! I'm so amazed. What a great use for those old board books that have seen better days, outgrown but not nice enough to pass on! So many ideas are popping around in my brain. Thanks for the creative nudge!

Can't wait to see what else you do on the book and cover is fabulous!

Moriah Betterly said...

It's so much fun! You have to make one!