Pages

Monday, June 29, 2009

Ask and You Shall Receive...

For those of you who watched my Art Journal videos, you may remember me mentioning that I would eventually find a heavy duty paper cutter at an auction for cheap... Well, that day came sooner than I imagined! My hubby and I went to an auction on Saturday and there it was, a beautiful paper cutter, exactly what I have been hoping for! We managed to snag it for a big whopping $15.00! Steal! I was thrilled beyond belief! It is in perfect condition and looks rather new! No more hacking away at chipboard with scissors!!



We also snagged 6 chairs for our dining room table! The ones we had didn't match. Well, 4 were the same and then the end ones were different. It's nice to have all 6 matching!



I also snagged a new desk chair! It's fabulous! I spend a lot of time in my desk and work chairs and I prefer to be comfortable! My old one wasn't cutting it. The padding had worn down and it just wasn't comfy. At auction I found a chair that was is in like new condition and has springs like a living room chair but is on rollers like an office chair. Perfect and oh so comfy! Huge steal at only $15.00 as well!



We also won a ton of computer software and computer parts and components that the hubby wanted, and a fan for my son's room. It was a great day at the auction!

Yesterday my hubby decided to overhaul his office and cleaned and reorganized for the better part of the morning and afternoon. In his closet he found rolled up leather that he had purchased more than a year ago to make game boards with and never got around to them. He got the idea to cover his grey Formica desktop with it instead. I thought he was nuts but hey, I'm all for the hubby having a creative project that he's excited about since it's a rare occasion! He set about removing everything from the top of his desk, made a run to Home Depot for some sandpaper and contact cement, and started working on it in the late afternoon. By about 11pm, he was finished with the top and it looked like this:


Notice the grey edges and base? That's what the whole thing looked like before his redo. He had two different colors of leather and had to use both to cover it. He said he liked the two-tone look and I must admit, I did too.. At this stage he was pooped and went to bed.

Today, he continued on and started first thing on doing the edges with the help of our 9 year old daughter... When that was finished it looked like this:

Our daughter decided that the base would look good if it was painted the same color as the dark brown leather on top. The hubby agreed and ran with her idea. Back in the car and off to Home Depot again. Back with spray paint in hand, he was off and running. Here's what it looks like now, after paint:

Now all he has to do is treat and seal the leather, get a throw rug and his office will be complete!

A true man cave in the making! I think he did a fantastic job and I'm so proud of it! I'm also thrilled that he did something creative!

I didn't get my secret project finished, bah. I probably won't get it finished until sometime after the 4th as my mother is coming in from out of town to stay with us for a few days. We haven't seen her since Christmas so we're looking forward to it. I probably won't be blogging much either until after the 4th as we're pretty booked with activities. Maybe I'll have some video to share, I don't know, we'll see.

Until then, have a great holiday, create those works and hug your loved ones!

Love,

Moriah

No comments: