Pages

Thursday, January 28, 2010

A Little Art For Me...

About 99% of the things I create leave the studio and all I'm left with are photos. From a financial stand point, that rocks! However, I never seem to have art I've made around my own home. Well.......I'm changing that this year!


I have made a few paintings for my dining room and my living room. Now I'm working on making my studio not only functional but a reflection of me and the things that I love. I'm trying to make the space more "homey" and less "WORK space". I want to walk in this room and immediately know that I belong in it as it's the only room in my home that is truly, 100% mine. I'd love to paint the walls but we rent our home so that's not an option. I can however paint the furniture!


Almost a year ago I drug a china cabinet into my house to use in my studio. It was U-G-L-Y!!! Someone had painted it white with bright blue trim and then covered the bottom doors in a yellow and white check fabric. BLECH!!!!!! I loved the clean lines of the piece and knew I could make it look fabulous again. Needless to say, it sat in that ugly state, minus the fabric, for almost a year.


Initially I had decided to strip the paint off and bring it back to it's original state. BORING! Had it been intended for my dining room, yes, perfect. For my studio, BORING! So I gessoed the whole thing and started painting on it. I'm loving it so far! I still have a TON of painting to do but so far I'm really loving thinking about the end result! Still in progress........





A few girls along the top and some "little boxes" (houses) in the middle. I still have a ton of surface to cover but I'm having a ton of fun AND I'm ticking of one of the many projects that are waiting patiently for me to finish them.

I hope you've done something creative today and I hope you've had a chance to visit the more than 730 blogs that are currently having giveaways! I'm exhausted, but so happy to be meeting new friends out there in blogland!

OH, OH, OH....... I almost forgot...... Coming soon, I will be doing Open Studio once a week! What is Open Studio you ask? Well... I thought it might be fun to do live studio cam once a week where you can peek at whatever I've got going on in the studio that day!! I'll be able to answer any questions you have or just yak too! How cool is that? I'm not sure of an exact date yet, I have to get a new webcam first and my hubby is upgrading my computer so, it may be 2-3 weeks before I'm ready, maybe a month... we'll see. BUT ANYWAY.... stay tuned for more info on that!

okay, I'm off to bed.... HUGS!

Moriah

10 comments:

Marsha (Sassy Mini Dolls) said...

Love the cabinet, Moriah!!! It is YOU!

I know where your coming from! I worked in my room for years and it never felt like "me" until I redid it last year and now it's finally coming together as I found my "style"!!

((Hugs))
Marsha

Bea said...

I love what you are doing to your cabinet. What fun. I love the idea of Open Studio. I would do it but I'm lacking a camera so that will have to wait a bit. I listened to my family complain about the art work always leaving the house and decided a couple of years ago to keep more. The kids still come home take the artwork and it's gone from the house. :)Bea

Heather's Haven said...

That cabinent is going to rock! You're going to have so much fun decorating your space! I'm still waiting for my own room...soon!

The Open Studio sounds wonderful! I'm looking forward to a sneak peek!

sassypackrat said...

I love what your doing with the cabinet! I originally intended to paint on my studio walls some of my little characters but just never did. Sigh, maybe someday.

The open studios sounds like so much fun! You know I'll drop by and visit on those days. Shall I bring coffee?

Sue said...

I think it is a commonality of artists worldwide - like the shoemaker's kids that go barefoot. I have one piece of mine, and only because it has sentimental value connected to the passing of my mom. Everything else is gone. Every year I think, okay, I will save a couple of pieces.....it doesn't seem to happen.

I love what you are doing with the cabinet. Perfect piece for a studio!

Hugs1

Juliette Crane said...

i absolutely adore your cabinet. so much fun and so inspiring! thank you!

WandaG_CT said...

Love what you did with the china cabinet!

Kath said...

your painting on that cabinet is wonderful. I esp love the little houses!
thanks for visiting my blog :)
Kath

Deedra said...

OmG!! LOVE that hutch! That's so fantastic!!! I, too, have started to keep some of my work, as well. I want to be able to pass it down to my kids one day! Glad you've decided to reap the benefits of your hard work!!!

Deedra said...

Oh - and the open studio sounds GREAT!!! I really like to be able to see where things are created!!