Pages

Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Butterfly Project.... Our Contributions




The Butterfly

The last, the very last,

So richly, brightly, dazzlingly yellow.

Perhaps if the sun’s tears would sing

against a white stone....
 
Such, such a yellow

Is carried lightly ’way up high.

It went away I’m sure

because it wished

to kiss the world good-bye.

For seven weeks I’ve lived in here,

Penned up inside this ghetto.

But I have found what I love here.

The dandelions call to me

And the white chestnut branches in the court.

Only I never saw another butterfly.

That butterfly was the last one.

Butterflies don’t live in here, in the ghetto.


Pavel Friedman, June 4, 1942


Born in Prague on Jan. 7, 1921.

Deported to the Terezin Concentration Camp on April 26, 1942.

Died in Aushchwitz on Sept. 29, 1944.


1,500,000 children died. 
In an effort to remember them, Holocaust Museum Houston is
 collecting 1.5 million handmade butterflies. 

My kids and I wanted to help.



Mixed Media Butterfly by Moriah

Fabric, book pages, tissue paper, watercolors, acrylics, inks, stamps, collage, stitching, rub ons, and paperclay heart embellishment on watercolor paper.






 Colored Pencil on Watercolor Paper by Jesse; age 15

 Colored Pencil, Crayon and Marker on Watercolor Paper by Jenna; age 11


Colored Pencil and Crayon on Watercolor Paper by Jenna; age 11



Colored Pencil, Marker, Crayon, and Gel Pen on Watercolor Paper by Jada; age 8


If you and your family would like to participate, please CLICK HERE for more information.
I encourage you to contact your child's school about participation as well.

Hugs,
Moriah

2 comments:

sassypackrat said...

This is a lovely idea.

Sharne's Bit 'n' Bobs said...

I have made 2 butterflies for this project and are in the post. I have passed the information onto our RE teacher at the school where I work. She was very interested in the project and is going to be doing some butterflies with her classes.