Pages

Saturday, January 1, 2011

How I Rang In The New year

I quit celebrating New Year's a long time ago.  I just don't get it, I guess.  Yes, it's great that we survived another year but I just don't feel the need to celebrate it.  I never did, really.  Oh sure, when I was much younger and much less intelligent, I would go out with friends and drink until I puked.  Then I'd spend the better part of the following day just trying to remember where I had been the night before and how I had gotten home.  All in the name of a "good time" of course.  As if!  When I got pregnant with my now 15 year old son, I stopped all of that ridiculousness. 

So, since I'm not a drinker and don't like to be in crowds of people who are drinking, I just stay at home instead.  I try to remember that it's technically a holiday and I try to act excited about the count down for my kids' sake but really there are a million other things I'd rather be doing than watching a ball drop on TV.  I let the kids stay up until just after midnight and we tell each other Happy New Year but that's about all we do.

So, while I was staying in tonight, I watched a whole lot of Netflix and after the kids went to bed I was playing with a small hunk of clay on my work table.  Before I knew it, I had sculpted this little chickie.  A little New Year's Shroom. 


It was really hard trying to get a decent picture at night with no natural light and because I put a low gloss finish on it which the camera just doesn't like.  But....  I thought I'd share it anyway.

Tomorrow starts the beginning of my new schedule so I won't be online as much anymore.  I'll still update this blog and I'll try to keep Facebook UTD, but other than that, I'm afraid I just won't have much time for any of it.

I hope you all enjoyed the holidays and can finally catch your breath.  I look forward to getting back to normal and getting back into the studio!

Hugs,
Moriah

4 comments:

Diane MacNaughtan * Dianie Mac * said...

I'm with you on the going out and celebrating!

I stayed home, I did choke down one cold bud light that my oldest daughter brought over, while I sculpted away in the studio.. that's my kind of New years party, lol...

Love the little shroom :)

Wishing you the very best in 2011!
Happy New Year!!!!

~Diane

Dawn in the Forest said...

I love this little mushroom:) What could be better than using your creative energy to bring in the New Year.

HelenFern said...

Those eyes almost feel like they see me! Nice work!

Helen

Thimbleprims Studio said...

Hi Moriah,
I am totally with you on the New Year's thing. I don't get it either. What's so great about one more year being gone? I want it back!!! And, a whole bunch of the other years too. : )
I LOVE your mushroom. I am totally awestricken by your incredible talent.
Much love,
Cindy