Pages

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Project: iPad Case

I was very blessed to have received an Apple iPad for Christmas this year.  I will be purchasing an Otterbox Defender Case for it soon but also wanted a cute little fabric case for it as well.  I shopped around a bit and after not finding what I wanted, I decided to make one for myself.

I made it slightly bigger than the iPad to allow for the extra bulk of the Defender Case.  I got this adorable fabric at Ikea last year.  I doubled the fabric and sandwiched thick felt between both of the layers to give it some cushion for more protection.  Then I quilted it using my sewing machine and the free motion foot.  Next I wanted something really soft on the inside to protect the screen so I chose a pink and white striped flannel fabric and added it to the sandwich as well.  I folded it all over my iPad to check for size and left enough fabric to have a flap come over the front.  Around the flap I stitched on some bias tape in red.  Then I stitched up the case itself.

I was going to use velcro as a closure but forgot to sew it on before stitching the bag together.  Sigh... So, I came up with using a bit of elastic instead.  Kind of the same idea as the elastic closure on Moleskine Notebooks. 

To decorate it just a bit, I added some buttons to the front flap.  And there you have it!  One very quick and easy iPad case.  Total time, about 2 hours.  Probably less for an experienced seamstress (which I am NOT).  :)

FRONT:


OPEN:




BACK:

7 comments:

Brenda said...

Love the cover you made for your iPad. Looks great and serves a purpose too, what more could you ask for. Happy New Year.

Healing Woman said...

What a neat case. Perfect!

The Hermits' Garden said...

The hubs just bought a Nook...and is planning to make leather Nook/Kindle cases. This quilted one is so sweet...love the colors!
Jan

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

You are a very lucky girl and I so love the bag/pouch you have made and embellished for this new treasure. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Colleen said...

That cover is so cute! I really enjoy reading your blog. Entertaining and interesting. =)Follow mine?

Have A Rainy Day! <3

woolies said...

Great ipod cover! So bright & cheerful!

Alice Stroppel said...

I love the case, I just have a regular ol' red one . Maybe I should follow you lead and make a cute one too.