Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2011

FINALLY! Kilns are Smokin' Hot!

We FINALLY fired up two of our kilns today!  Whoo hoo.  In the medium sized kiln I'm firing the kiln posts that I made myself.  These are meant to lie flat as they are going to be part of the stand system I came up with to fire my pendants. 




In the small kiln I'm bisque firing some porcelain doll parts and a few test pendants...





Fingers crossed it all goes well.  I took ceramics in college but they always fired our pieces for us and they never taught us to fire ourselves.  So, while I'm not a novice where ceramic art is concerned, I am a novice where firing kilns is concerned.  EEK!  I'm a nervous wreck!  Tomorrow I'll post again letting you know if it was a success or a complete disaster.  Ha ha ha

If any of my fabulous readers have kiln firing experience and would be ever so kind as to pass on some knowledge to me, I would be oh so greatful.  :) <3

Okay, I'm off to pace the floors into the night. 

1 comment:

Sassy Marsha said...

The coils in the smaller kiln need to be pushed back in the groves. They shouldn't be sticking out like that :)

You'll need a propane torch to do it.