Pages

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Miles and Miles

of pendants.  Okay, so maybe not miles, more like feet but still.  :)  I created some pendant and earring sets and pulled them from their bisque firing today.  I know it's kind of hard to see their detail since they're all white at the moment but you can get an idea anyway.  I initially thought these would make great gifts for my female family members until I realized that not many of them have pierced ears.  Hmmmmm.... so, I guess I'll have to come up with something else.  :)  Dang it.





So, tonight I have been watching a workshop on Social Marketing and it has really been an eye opener.  I have been doing things ALL WRONG!  There are apparently two parts to this workshop, I'm still on part one but it's been really helpful and I will be changing how I market from now on.  (Here's part two in case you're interested.)

I'm also taking the time to finally go through the Seller Handbook on Etsy.  I've been putting all of this stuff off because let's face it, creating is a whole lot more fun than researching and learning about marketing.  Y-A-W-N!  I'm so right brained it isn't even funny.  BUT, I'm forcing myself to exercise that left side too, just a little, every night.  So, instead of watching my favorite programs on hulu.com, I spend my evenings learning how to be a better business person.  It pains me, but it's important.

Do any of you struggle with this?  How do you juggle it all?

~Moriah

2 comments:

sassypackrat said...

I do struggle with it. I love to sit and create and not worry about promoting etc. Which is kind of funny since my previous career I was IN Marketing and Promotions!!!!

I really haven't treated my art business as a business. I think a lot of people who work from home and dealing with family distractions have trouble setting boundaries. Plus marketing yourself is hard and not really fun, who wants to do not fun boring things? Successful people that's who! I remind myself of this everyday now as I try to learn what I need to know to do it right for my business.

Best of luck!

Mary Ann said...

I am so like you. I have ignored those Etsy emails about marketing and promoting but I think it is important to focus on so that you can make your bussiness successful. I have to change my "put off until tomorrow" attitude and get stuck into it and get serious:)