Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Ceramic Bracelets Are Sturdier Than You'd Think

I have been wanting to make a ceramic bracelet for myself for a few months now but never got around to it..... until the other day that is.

I made about 12 or so of them as a test run, remember this photo?


When they were dry I cleaned up the edges and went about glazing and firing them.  When I took them out of the kiln I was pretty pleased with how they turned out and quickly started putting the one I made for myself together to wear.



My husband came into the studio and sat down for a chat.  I showed him the bracelets and he said, "Won't they break easy?  Like if you hit them on a desk or table or something?"  I didn't have an answer and then panicked thinking Oh My Gosh, what if they break??

So, I decided I'd be the guinea pig and test mine out before making the others available for sale.  After 3 days of wearing it at all times (except in the shower), I am happy to report that not only has it not broken but it hasn't even chipped.  No scratch, no crack, no nothing.  Whoo hoo!




For the trial I did everything I would normally do.  I cleaned the house, I cooked.  I worked in the studio.  Etc, etc.  So, I'm really confident that they'll hold up really well and will be releasing them to my Etsy store next week.  I'm not saying they won't break, say if you drop it on a tile or concrete floor or if you do a face plant and use your arm to save your face or something.  BUT, normal day-to-day activities shouldn't break it. I have banged it a few times on my desk and it's still in one piece.  Anyway, I'm thrilled to have my new bracelet and am working on my link making skills before I release finished ones.  It's almost there.... just have to tighten up these wraps.

6 comments:

Diane MacNaughtan * Dianie Mac * said...

They are darlin' !!!

:)

Happy Thanksgiving !!!

~Diane

Doda said...

these are gorgeous!

Michele Lynch Art said...

Oh those are so pretty!!! Great design!! Happy Turkey Day! xo Michele

sassypackrat said...

They are great! What a fun addition to your product line!

Georgina said...

These are wonderful,Moriah!!!

Mary Ann said...

I really really like them. I don't wear much jewellery but I can see myself wearing one of those:)