Monday, May 23, 2011

Student Photos

I thought I'd share some of the fabulous creations coming from the Folk Art Doll Workshop.  Aren't they fabulous???

The Folk Art Doll Workshop is ongoing so if you'd like to make your very own Folk Art Doll, come on over!  The workshop is also available on DVD (US and Canada residents only) if that works better for you.

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Today's Kiln Firing was Both a Success and a Failure...

The failures:

Most of the procelain doll pieces blistered.  My kiln was too hot.  So, I have to get some witness cones and not rely on the pyrometer in the future.

This piece was/is for a mannequin.  It blistered too but I rather like the effect on this piece so I plan to use it anyway.  I guess this one is a fail because it blistered but a success as well because I like it.  :)

I forgot to take a picture of the 3 pendants that fused together before I threw them away.  They had slid into one another and fused.  The color was perfect but all 3 pendants that I glazed that color fused together.  Doh!  So, I'll fix that glitch in the process next time.

The successes:

This is the only complete doll I got out of the 4 dolls I fired.  It was in the very center of the kiln (furthest from the heating elements) so I guess I shut off the kiln before the blistering occured on this one.  There are a few blisters on the torso but I think it will still be perfectly usable.

This is a sampling of 3 of the 5 pendants that made it.  The blue glaze is a bit darker than I'd like so next time I will only do 2 coats instead of three and the tan one came out perfect.  None of the pendants blistered.

So, tomorrow I will bisque fire some more pendants and try again.  Once I get the temps straightened out and the number of coats for the glazes, I'll start firing in the bigger kilns with much bigger loads.

I have to admit, even though this process has been frustrating, it's also been kind of fun.  I'm in no way discouraged and I will keep banging away at this until I get it just right.  I hope I don't bore the crap out of you in the process.  :/


Test Kiln Bisque Fire is a Success!

YAY!  You don't know how nervous I've been all day that this stuff would explode, crack, whatever.  I am so happy to announce that the test load bisque fired perfectly.  Tomorrow I will glaze the pendants and fire everything to cone 6.  This is also when I will go back to pacing the floor, lol.

Stay Tuned!

Here's the pieces after bisque fire:

All of the pendants in the above picture do have designs or initials on them.  They just aren't showing up with my flash.  Here's a pic of two of the initial pendants close up:

Saturday, May 14, 2011

FINALLY! Kilns are Smokin' Hot!

We FINALLY fired up two of our kilns today!  Whoo hoo.  In the medium sized kiln I'm firing the kiln posts that I made myself.  These are meant to lie flat as they are going to be part of the stand system I came up with to fire my pendants. 

In the small kiln I'm bisque firing some porcelain doll parts and a few test pendants...

Fingers crossed it all goes well.  I took ceramics in college but they always fired our pieces for us and they never taught us to fire ourselves.  So, while I'm not a novice where ceramic art is concerned, I am a novice where firing kilns is concerned.  EEK!  I'm a nervous wreck!  Tomorrow I'll post again letting you know if it was a success or a complete disaster.  Ha ha ha

If any of my fabulous readers have kiln firing experience and would be ever so kind as to pass on some knowledge to me, I would be oh so greatful.  :) <3

Okay, I'm off to pace the floors into the night. 

Friday, May 13, 2011

The Traveling Doll Project Continues...

For more information about the Art Dolls Only Traveling Doll Project, please visit their blog.

To see the posts about  Zeb and Calee's journey, please click on the links below:

Round One

Round Two

Zeb and Calee arrived on my doorstep and when I opened the box I was smitten.  Martha and Lezlei had done a fabulous job on these little cuties and I was dying to work on them.  However, they arrived when I had out of town family staying with me so I couldn't do anything with them right away.  Once I was able to work on them I decided to focus on Calee since Lezlei had done such a fabulous job with Zed.  Calee was looking a little bare so I stitched up a green tutu to match her fabulous green boa.

Then I decided she just had to have black and white striped leggings (because I love them so much myself) so I painted those on with acrylics.

Then I decided she needed some eyelashes and make-up.  Afterall, what circus performer doesn't have make-up?  I so wanted to keep adding stuff to her but I had to force myself to stop so the three people after me could work on her too.  :( 

The last thing I added as some nail polish on her fingers.

I was SOOOOOO tempted to keep these little cuties here with me but alas, I could not.  So, they have now left Dunedin, FL and ar headed to OK where they will meet up with Shauna.  I will miss them!  Sniff sniff.

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Chit Chat In The Studio

Hello my awesome blog readers!  I was too lazy to do a written blog post so I did a video instead.  I had to chop it into two parts because it was too long as one.  For my Hive followers, here are the links to the videos since the videos don't show on the Hive site... for the rest of you, the videos are embedded below.

Part One:

Part Two: