Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry

This was the case today, for sure.

I spent two weeks trying my best to prepare a fabulous birthday party for my daughter.  Today was the big day.

Just about everything that could go wrong, DID!  Sigh...

First, our ladder wasn't tall enough for us to be able to reach the tree limbs so I could hang the pom poms here and there all over the yard.  So, we strung fishing line going across the yard in three places and hung the pom poms that way.  I hated it.

Then we tried to hang the sheets which went up fine but when we tried to hang the signs (Concessions, Games, etc etc) on the line with the sheets, the wind just whipped them all over and you couldn't see them, so we took them down.  Sigh...

I had planned for 80 balloons but the helium tank crapped out after about 18.  Huge sigh...

Then, another issue, the coupling I bought for the pastry bag was too small for the tip so I couldn't pipe on the icing for the cupcakes like I wanted too either.  Grrrrrr.  So, I just slapped it on with a knife.

The last issue, the cupcake sleeves that I spent hours designing, printing out and cutting, were too big for the cupcakes and looked ridiculous so those got thrown away.  Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I was so disappointed and so frustrated and really felt as though I had failed my daughter.  I came in the house to collect myself before people started showing up.

I heard voices and giggles so I told myself it was showtime, sucked it up and put a smile on my face.  When I walked outside I saw my daughter and realized from the smile on her face that she thought everything was perfect.

We played games, ate a bunch of Carnival food and attacked my daughter with silly string.  The party went an hour over the scheduled time and at the end of it, Jada walked up to me, put her arms around me and said, "Thank you so much, Mom!  This was the best birthday ever!"

And that my friends, made all of the frustration and disappointment go right out the window.  It also made every single minute I spent cutting things out and hours of painting and planning worth it.


HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JADA!

Here's a few shots of what went right... lol









Next year?  We're going somewhere where we can just show up with a cake.  I'm going to leave party planning to the professionals from now on.  :)

Now it's time to get back to work!  I have a commissioned ornament to finish up as well as a few commissioned pendants.

XXOO
Moriah

4 comments:

The Feathered Nest said...

Oh Moriah...what a wonderful post!!! Not because of your disappointment but because of your sweet daughter's happiness!!! It's so funny how us mamas have everything built up in our heads how it all "should" be ~ we are all so hard on ourselves. I'm just happy your daughter had a wonderful birthday party and that you survived sweetie, and you're still a hero!!! hugs and love, Dawn

Diane MacNaughtan * Dianie Mac * said...

Moriah, my granddaughter who is 2 1/2 yrs was sitting next to me while I read your post. As i scrolled down to the pics, with a big smile and a very happy and LOUD voice she pointed and said, " Whats that!!!! Ohhhhh, I want that".
Well, I guess I will be gathering all my tips from you for her party lol....

by your wonderful pics it looks as though everything turned out fantastic! You really put together a party many kids dream of.

I think we are sometimes to hard on ourselves, we see things others dont see :)

Hugs to you and a Happy Birthday to your sweet one.

~Diane

Mary Ann said...

I'm sorry but I had a little chuckle to myself. The last birthday party I hosted was for my youngest when he was 10....15 little boys packed into my house on a very cold winter day....I have no idea what I was thinking of at the time:) Madness.

sassypackrat said...

Looks great! Love the cupcake table! Don't be so hard on yourself. You did more than anyone I know and certainly more than I ever did and I had home parties for 2 kids for 12 years!

Nothing ever goes completely right at any party anyway, you just have to go with the flow. As long as the kids have fun then it's successful. If it was her wedding then you could freak out.;0)