Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Cupcake Stands Tutorial

As most of you know, I am preparing for my daughter's 10th b-day party this weekend and have made some of the decorations myself.  I thought I'd share with you how I made the cupcake stands for the treats table at the party so you can make some too!

First, I headed to my favorite thrift store on half off day and bought 5 different candle sticks.  These may be called something else but that's what I call them.  They're the tall stands that you put large pillar candles on.  Then I bought 5 plates that were the size I thought would work best on the stands.

When I got home, I pulled out the silicone and ran a nice bead of it around the edge of the candle stands.  I turned the plate upside down and then positioned the stand in the middle of the plate.  Using my finger, I wiped around the edge of the stand to make sure there was a nice seal.


I set it aside and let it dry completely for 24 hours.

Once dry, I broke out my clear gesso and added a coat of it to the plate only.  The reason I did this was I wasn't sure if the spray paint was going to stick on the slick ceramic finish of the plates.  By adding the gesso, I gave the plate a little tooth for the spray paint to stick to.  Again, I let that dry over night.

Then I was ready to spray paint!  I picked up some little cans of spray paint at Joann's in the colors that would match the carnival theme I was going for.  For this one, I chose to use the hot pink.


I flipped the stand over so that the plate was on the paint stand and started by spraying the bottom of the plate and metal stand first.



I let that sit outside and dry for about an hour before flipping it over and spraying the rest of the stand.  NOTE:  You're going to need to spray the stand again when you flip it upright.  I noticed on all of mine that the first spray didn't cover all of the bends, nooks and crannies.  So, when I flipped it upright, I hit it again to make sure everything was covered.  Once it's all covered, let it dry over night and Viola!  You have an awesome cupcake/dessert/cake stand for your next party!


If this is too plain for you, you could go crazy jazzing it up too.  Add some trim around the lip of the plate, maybe some beaded fringe.  You could add a clear dome lid, etc etc. Use your imagination and have fun with it.

Here's all 5 of the ones I made for the b-day party:



Notice that they're all different heights?  When they're different heights they will make your table setting more dramatic and interesting.  You'll get to see how I arrange them on Sunday when I do a post about my daughter's party.  You'll get to see everything I did and how I put it all together.  Stay tuned!  In the meantime.... GO MAKE SOME GOODY STANDS!

XXOO,
Moriah

6 comments:

nancye williams said...

lovely!

Maria Paolone said...

Moriah,
I think you cupcake stands came out absolutely GORGEOUS!!!! HOW CLEVER YOU ARE!!!! I LOVE the idea!!!
xoxo
Maria

sassypackrat said...

These are so fun! They would also make great displays for a craft show!

Sue said...

Fabulous!!! I love these! Thanks Moriah!

yoborobo said...

WOW! Where were you when my kids were little? Those are awesome. This party is going to be amazing. Can't wait to see the pics! xox

Mary Ann said...

Very cool idea....lots of occasions when you could use them.