Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Faith In Humanity Restored!

It seems like I have been a magnet for rude and nasty people lately.  I was really starting to subscribe to the saying, "No good deed goes unpunished" and was also beginning to think that people, as a whole, just suck.

That is until Kathleen Sacco did the most amazing thing that completely restored my faith in humankind.

I snatched this picture of her from her Facebook page.

So what did she do, you ask?

Let me start from the beginning....

A few months ago I finally got off of my rump and sent in a bunch of pictures of my work to Art Doll Quarterly to be considered for publication.  Much to my delight, they contacted me and said they were interested in publishing one of my dolls.  YAY!!  So exciting.

I was told that I needed to send in the inspiration behind the doll, a brief instruction on how it was created and the dolls dimensions.  I also needed to either send in the doll itself or email in high resolution photos of the doll.  Sounds great, right?

The problem was that I had already sold the doll they wanted to publish back in November of 2010 to Kathleen.  I did have some 300 dpi images of the doll but not in the 8x10" sizes they wanted.  I also had no idea what the dimensions were as I had sold the doll on eBay and the listing was no longer accessible for me to pull from.  Sigh....

So, I took a risk and emailed Kathleen through eBay and told her about being contacted by ADQ and asked if she could please send me that dimensions of the doll so I could send them in.  I was not expecting the response I received and am still shocked and amazed by it.  Kathleen's response was:

"Hello, Moriah. I just knew your precious 'Lil Birdee was destined for stardom! Congratulations! I've just measured him and his dimensions are as follows:


Height 9.5" Bird only 8.0"
Width 5.0" Bird only 2.5"
Depth 3.0" Bird only 3.0" (total & bird are same 3.0" depth)
Bird belly circumference is 8".

I am very excited for you & Lil Birdee.
.
Please let me know if you would like me to send him back to you for further photographing or if you need to submit him to ADQ. It would be my honor to do either. Kate Sacco "


HOLY COW!!!

I almost didn't take her up on her offer because I thought it would be in bad taste but all I kept thinking was, "What if they don't accept my photos because they're not 8X10?"  Then I thought I'd accept her offer to send the doll to me and I would just take more photos and send the doll right back to her but again, I was worried about not taking photos they'd want to use.  So, after arguing with myself for a bit, I finally wrote her back and accepted her offer to send the doll to me so that I could send him in to ADQ to be photographed by their photographer.  I explained that it could be months before they returned the doll to me but that I promised to mail him straight back to her the moment ADQ sent him back to me and how I couldn't believe she was willing to do this for me and how incredibly thankful I was and that I'd be sending her a thank you package when I sent back the doll.

Again, another email that just floored me:

Dear Mariah,
It would be unthinkable not to send him back to you. He is your creation and I am greatful to have been his caretaker for this past year. No gift is necessary. It really is my pleasure and honor. I fell in love with him the moment I saw him. He made my heart smile. I am thrilled that the readers of ADQ will have the same opportunity to love him as well. He is special and so are you and your talents. You can email me at (REMOVED FOR HER PRIVACY) or phone me at (ALSO REMOVED FOR HER PRIVACY) if you'd like. I am located in (REMOVED FOR PRIVACY). I am so excited for you!!! Kate :)


She was absolutely true to her word.  The doll arrived here today.  It was such an awesome moment to see him again.  Kathleen has taken such great care of him.  He looks just like he did the day I mailed him to her.  

Thank you AGAIN, Kate!  Your generosity has not gone unnoticed and I'm willing to scream your good deed from the rooftops!  I asked Kate if she had a blog or website she'd like me to give a shout out about but she doesn't have either.  So, I did put a link to her Facebook page under her picture and it would really make me happy if you could stop by and leave her a little message telling her what an awesome person she is.  She deserves it.

I have tagged the doll with my information and packed him up to take his next trip tomorrow to sunny California.  Have fun at ADQ, little doll, make momma proud!  :)

Seriously, pop over to Kate's page and show her some love.  I'd really appreciate it!

Hugs,
Moriah

10 comments:

Zan Asha said...

I am smiling from ear to ear about this...there ARE good people out there, Moriah, but I needed that lesson lately, too..I sort of feel in the same boat at times. What a nice person! Good stuff!

Amy Beth said...

first, congrats to you. I'm very excited for you. I remember how excited I was the first time I had some of my photographs published in a magazine.
Kate is a very generous person. I'm glad your faith in humanity had been restored! :)

Diane said...

What a great story and a wonderful lady!
...and big congratulations on being published--long overdue!

Healing Woman said...

Congratulations on being accepted to Art Doll Quarterly. I know you are just thrilled. Let me know when that issue comes out. Wow..a celebrity! Yes. You do have an unusually wonderful customer.

Cheryl @ Bingle Bears said...

Hi Moriah,

What a lovely story. I popped over to Facebook and sent a message to Kathleen. Thanks for sharing this with us!

Warmly,
Cheryl

Sue said...

What a wonderful thing Kate did! Yep, this would totally restore your faith in humanity. She went out of her way to pack up her piece and take it to the post office, and mail it promptly so you could have it for ADQ. I would say that she wins "Best Customer of the Year" award!

Thanks for sharing this lovely story Moriah!

Kay said...

great post, wonderful Lady!!!

creativedawn said...

Hi Moriah,
Congratulations! and you are right. This is a wonderful story as of late, I've been reading about missing and stolen quilts; artist stealing others' work and violating copy and such! This certainly IS a wonderful story. I don't seem to be able to get to your friend's page, but you can pass on the word that she is a one of a kind person and extremely generous. This is what I have come to know artist to be and we need to hear more of the caring and giving nature of our world! Sorry to be so wordy.
You ladies ROCK! love your art anyhoo!!!

hugz
Pam

Catch A Falling Star said...

:)
In the day and age that we currently live in, it's a sad fact that we are surprised when someone is kind and giving like Kate. That's just how it is though, we rarely see such a thing anymore.
Congrats on the the ADQ Publication!!
Can't wait to see the issue.

Marie Patterson Studio said...

I've had the pleasure of meeting Kate and she's the kind of person that you wish more people would become!
Moriah - you'll have to let me know when ADQ will be publishing your doll. Congratulations Moriah!