Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A Commissioned Ornament in Paperclay

It's been quite awhile since I worked in Paperclay.  I missed it.  :)

I was contacted and asked if I could make an ornament based on what 2011 meant to this person.  I said sure!  I mean really, how hard could it be, right?  Well, um, it can be really really hard!  lol  I spent weeks sketching out ideas after reading her letter and everything sucked.  I didn't like any of them.  Sure, I could have slapped something together and said here you go but that's not my style.  I really do try to do my very best when making something, especially when it's for someone else.

I was just about to give up and tell her that I didn't think I was the right person for this task when it hit me!

I'm not going to repeat what was in her letter because, well, it's her private stuff.  But, I'll give you the jist of it so you can better understand how I came up with this ornament.  In her letter she said she had severed ties with some negative people in her life and that she had been incredibly blessed in 2011.  It was all about things that caused her grief no longer affecting her, so I FINALLY had the idea to create a butterfly, with a human form, emerging from a cocoon and about to take flight.  To symbolize her shedding all the negative people and  all of the baggage that was weighing her down so she could spread her wings and fly.

I hope she likes it!  I am mailing it out today so I'll be pacing the floors until I hear from her and know what she thinks.  Fingers crossed!

Here's the ornament:




Now I'm off to bisque fire some commissioned pendants.  I hope you had a lovely Valentine's Day and that you're finding some time to do some creative stuff yourself.

Hugs,
Moriah

2 comments:

sassypackrat said...

Just lovely!

Mary Ann said...

Very sweet and I think you idea is perfect:)