Pages

Saturday, April 14, 2012

I Decided to Go With A Full Beard, Instead of a Goatee

What??  No, no, no!  Not for me, silly.  For my Bearded Lady doll.  Sheesh!

Our art doll group, ADA (Art Doll Artists), is sponsoring a Spring Challenge with the theme Vintage Circus / Sideshow.  I'm participating and chose to create a bearded lady.  I had sculpted a head more than a year ago that I intended to use for that very purpose so it was high time I got busy on bringing her to life.

I started with just a head.  I gave her some make-up and a mustache and a goatee.



 I wasn't feeling the goatee after staring at her for a few days so I went with a full beard instead.  Now I'm happier.  :)


I gave her a cloth body with movable arms.  Now I just have to sculpt some hands and feet for her.  Then I get to do all of the really fun stuff... wigging and costuming.  I'm really liking her so far.

In other news, I made another dress form.  Man, they are so fun to make.  If you click on the photos, you can see them larger.  This one is in shades of Yellow, Orange, Red and Cream.  It kind of has a Bohemian feel to it, I think.  I listed it in my Etsy Shop today.





Love, Love, Love!  If I do say so myself.  :)

If you were to create a doll in the Vintage Circus / Sideshow theme, which character would you choose?

Moriah

4 comments:

yoborobo said...

Love your bearded lady. :) And your new dress form! I think if I were to make someone, it might be a tattooed lady, or maybe a fortune teller. xo

Mary Ann said...

I can't wait to see how your bearded lady turns out:)Looks great so far. If I was to make a doll for a Vintage Circus/Sideshow my first thought would be a bearded lady but...ha ha...that's being done so....elastic man, tattooed lady/man, fire or sword swallower, fortune teller, muscle man, belly dancer, magician, that swami guy who lies on nails, snake charmer. There lots of choices...anything really bizarre.

Ruth said...

hope this isn't too late for you to read...
I love your bearded lady! I think I'd make a live version of the faked mermaid skeleton that was in an actual circus side show about 100 years ago. They faked her with a partial fish skeleton and other stuff I don't remember, but it was impressive! :-)

Carla Scheffer said...

Your dolls are really one of a kind!I love them all! This bearded lady will be amazing, I want to see it finished!